Have you noticed there are more boats on the water lately? It’s possible you haven’t, since the increased popularity of boating has been a somewhat gradual one. But there’s no denying the fact that boating has become more popular among the general population in the past several years. In fact, if we’re willing to move to speculative territory, we could even call this the golden age of boating.
But what makes this the golden age of boating, as opposed to any other?
First, we can examine the wide range of available vessel options. Whatever your goals are as a boat captain, and whatever you’re hoping to get out of the experience, there’s probably a vessel for you. There are large luxury yachts, as well as small pontoon boats, sailboats for skilled navigators, and everything in between. Best of all, because these boats are widely available, you should have no trouble getting into this hobby, even as a newcomer.
Electric boat motors have also emerged and risen in popularity, reducing the operating expenses of boats while simultaneously making them more environmentally friendly. If you’re interested in sustainable boating, or if you just like the idea of a quieter trip, you can choose an electric motor for your next boat. And if electric motors aren’t your thing, no worries – there are plenty of super-powerful gas and diesel motors available too.
And if you’re on a budget, today’s online marketplace makes it easier than ever to find a boat that fits your financial needs. With a quick search, you can browse thousands of different vessels, including both new and used models. If you’re willing to buy used, and you’re flexible on where and how you shop, you’ll likely be able to find a perfect fit for all your needs.
If you like taking your boat on the water, you’ll be pleased to know there are more travel options than ever. Nobody has created a new ocean or lake, but there are more marinas, docks, islands, and interesting cruise paths to enjoy. If you’re willing to travel with your boat, you can go all over the world.
Are you interested in upgrading your boat with the latest and greatest technology? Today’s tech options for boating enthusiasts are more versatile than ever, making us safer, better entertained, and better informed.
- GPS. With modern GPS and navigation equipment, you’ll never have the opportunity to get lost again. You can pinpoint your exact position and coordinates, making it easier to navigate in even the most confusing waters. Even better, GPS makes it easy to rescue disabled boats and communicate in an emergency.
- Satellite phones and comms. Speaking of emergencies, satellite phones and better communication systems make it easier to stay in contact with the mainland, no matter how far out you are. Your conventional phone might stop working at a certain point, but your backup technology and communications systems to make sure you always have a line for help.
- Wi-Fi hotspots. For many people, boating is entertainment enough; in fact, some people go out on the water as an intentional way to get away from technology. But for others, it pays to have a Wi-Fi hotspot on board. Whether you’re interested in periodically checking your email or streaming your favorite music, you can connect to the Internet even in the middle of the lake.
- Fish finders. Fish finders are also more advanced than ever, providing anglers everywhere with more information they can use to find the best spots – and catch far more impressive numbers of fish.
- Autonomous tech. Autonomous tech is also becoming more common in boats, enabling even the poorest of navigators to enjoy the water. Self-docking technology is still in its infancy, but is already making boating more convenient and accessible.
This is also a golden age of boating because of the renewed interest and popularity of the activity. People all over the country are rediscovering their love for the water, and it’s creating more opportunities for people to get together.
- Clubs, groups, and organizations. Boat clubs, groups, and other organizations have risen in popularity along with boating itself, unsurprisingly. If you see boating as a social activity, or if you just want to spend more time with other people, this is another perk of boat ownership.
- Support and mentorship. Thanks to the popularity of boating, it’s easy to find support and mentorship. If you’re trying to learn something complex, like how to do your own boat maintenance or how to race in a sailboat, usually all you have to do is ask.
- Events and gatherings. Having a boat and staying active can also introduce you to more events and gatherings. Big parties that draw boat owners together can be a lot of fun.
Boating regularly increases and decreases in popularity, as is the case with the popularity of almost any hobby or activity. But today, it’s easy to make the case that this is the objectively best time to be a boat owner.